Thursday, June 3, 2010

Wicked and "Toomy"

I went to Wicked Wednesday night. It was AMAZING!! The story line is sooo good. And the vocal talent was awesome! I really want to see it again. I could go on and on about it. Best musical ever!

Thursday we went to the radiation oncologist. We discovered that my case has been presented at the board of tumor-treating people. (I don't remember what they called it.) That's right - I'm very interesting to a whole group of brain surgeons (and their students I might add). I like the radiation oncologist - corduroy pants, cowboy boots and everything.

We found out lots of new things about my tumor (that we lovingly called Toomy). It is a pilocytic astrocytoma. It's an odd occurence for several reasons. It mostly appears in children under 14. They usually don't have cysts associated with them. It's in an odd place - normally it's closer to the cerebellum and mine is closer to the thalmus. And normally tumors are what they call "suckables" because there is little cohesion and they normally come right out - mine is stuck. And apparently stuck in a very sensitive part of the brain.

So we are going to wait until the next MRI then discuss radiation options. Radiation isn't painful and you can go about your regular life. The only hard part is that it's Monday - Friday for 5 weeks. It's only like 15-20 minutes but you have to schedule your day around it.

Radiation usually does not shrink tumors it's primary function is to stop the tumors from growing. Oh and apparently cysts after they "pop" can 'remember' where they started out and repair themselves. Radiation works a little differently on cysts. It's usually about a year before you see the effects.

So we'll see how it goes at the end of July. That gives me 2 more months to pray about it. :)

No comments: