I auditioned for The Music Man at the Artisan Center Theater www.artisanct.com this past Tuesday evening. It's been many many years since I've done anything like this so I was a little nervous. My audition "appointment" was scheduled for 8:00. I warmed up my voice at 6:30 (so, I was excited...) Richard and I got to the theater around 7:50. We walked in and there was a table with numbered stickers and forms to complete. I started to gather the forms when the dance director asked for all auditioners to come up to the front and learn the dance. She asked how many people had danced before (like taken a dance class) and I'd say over half raised their hands. She said the dance was short but a tiny bit fast. Understatement of the night. It was Shipoopy (however that's spelled) which is up-tempo and there were moves on the first 8 half beats. It just made me remember how dang much I love to dance. The learning of the dance lasted about 5 minutes then auditioners 1-10 did their dancing. At this point I go and get lucky auditioner number 23 (it was only lucky because I was wearing it). I quickly realize that they are auditioning in 10 person chunkc with all 10 singing first, then all 10 reading the script, then all 10 dancing. It's not a fast process. They are barely finishing 1-10 at 8:00 and they started 1-10 at 7:00. My goodest bud Joni got there before I did and she got number 20 so she was lucky to be a part of the 8:00-9:00 audition hour. I got to be a part of the 9:00-10:00 chunk.
Observing auditions is really pretty fun. I kinda got a feel for what physiques they were looking to use for each role. I was totally entertained seeing the way that different people deal with the nervousness. Like Joni for example. I mostly thought that Joni hated my guts by the time she was up for her song. She didn't so much want to sit next to me and when she did move to sit next to me she didn't so much want to talk or joke around. She mostly looked sick to her stomach. (I was back and forth between nervous and hyper.) Joni did a great job on her audition despite her apparent nervousness. I was very proud to be her friend.
It was really interesting because when each person went up they asked them to tell a little about themselves but when I got up the director said "You are friends with Joni and Phyllis, right? So what are you going to sing for us?" It kinda threw me off because I had been coming up with a cute little quirky reply and I didn't get to use it. Sad day. I sang "I Got Rhythm" and it totally didn't sound like me. It sounded really big and nervous. One of the notes I didn't so much hit. I'm sure there was a look of absolute confusion on my face like "Did that note just come out of MY mouth? No way!! That was hideous & embarrassing." The lines I read were really boring. And I totally made a noise when I goofed up. Richard said that part was pretty bad. But I totally made up for it when I danced. (Did I mention how much I love to dance...?) We finally left the theater shortly after 10. I was all kinds of ready to go home.
I was talking to my mother about it and told her that all I really want to is dance the Shipoopy and sing Pick-a-little.
Well, today I got a call from the dance director and they offered me a part as one of the Pick-a-Little ladies so woo-hoo. Shipoopy here I come! Rehearsals start on April 14th. I called Joni tonight to make sure we are celebrating together but no one answered so I'll have to let you know about that. I sure hope so though.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
yeah congrads!!!
I am in too! Did they give you a name? Just wondering. I will call you tomorrow.
I am loving reading your older posts! I Had no idea you sang.I still have no musical abilities, but I am not sad. I am grateful for other talents. Positive thinking right?
Post a Comment