Friday, February 6, 2009

Totally gonna win...

the poster contest at work! So, we finished our poster 2 days ago and I've been holding off blogging about it because I didn't want anyone to steal our great ideas. But then I remembered that there are only 2 people from work who check my blog with any semblance of regularity. One of them worked on the poster with me and the other one (whilst he will be negative about my choice to submit a poster and surely make fun of it) wouldn't submit a poster in a million years. So I'm safe from anyone plagerizing my poster for the contest.

At work we are trying to be more inclusive and a better place to work and all that jazz. This month we are focusing on the topic "Ask who else needs to be in the room for us to understand the whole situation". So here's our poster. There are some subtletys to the point and the humor of it. I'll explain a few just in case you miss them.

(If you click on the pic it should enlarge.) Here's the whole thing. Many thanks to Microsoft Word for their paper doll templates. (And to my brother Jonathan for using them to apologize that one time to Allison - totally where I got the idea to use them.)

And here we have our peeps working on the Puzzle Project. Commending themselves on a job well done.

More peeps with very clever sayings - thanks to funny man Chris Hull (my good buddy and former co-creative problem solving 2nd place winner 2007 - go team)

Notice our very multi-cultural, diverse peeps. The dude in the left corner there is our token effeminate guy (see his font all girly?). And props go to Paula Vining (my dear friend and talented artist for this poster - she by-the-way is the one who sometimes reads my blog) You can't really tell but much of our poster comes off the page. The white board tray totally is a tray that I crafted out of really really really old Big Red gum wrappers. (A tasty poster making treat once you got it nice and chewed up.)

Here are the puzzle directions all crumpled up and thrown in the trash. And yes, I actually did crumple them then paste them on the poster.
Here is our token girl who gives things some thought (notice the thought bubble) but is afraid to speak out hence the everyone complimenting themselves before the job is done.
And finally, Ms. Ing (get it? Miss Ing. Like missing from the meeting?!) and her delightful cat portrait and desk decoration, the beautiful wood grain desktop and computer that I bought at JoAnn. It was originally going to be a t-shirt that said ask me about my puzzle piece but then we decided to go for the desk poster. The t-shirt still makes me laugh in my head. Not really sure why but I'm laughing now thinking about it.
We will turn it in on Monday. I don't think there is a "prize" other than to be the poster winners but we had a BLAST making it and it really supported the creative process. I find that my place of employment gives us opportunities to encourage creative thought. It one of the things that helps when the work beats me down.
I don't know when we find out who wins, but I'll be sure to update you. (As if we don't already know that this is the winning poster...)

2 comments:

tylersgirl said...

i am waiting........ i check you everyday..........

R Ruiz said...

This is amazing Susan! How many people were working on it? How fun!