I got to teach 3rd graders all about cities through the Junior Achievement program today. This is my 3rd year to do it. It is soooo rewarding for me.
I left really really early thinking I would get there 30 minutes early. But a huge wreck made it so I got there EXACTLY on time. Man!
I walked into Ms. Barrio's class and she introduces herself with a very strong Spanish accent. I look around the room and realize that all the children have a darker complexion than myself. Hmmm, interesting. So I go to the front of the room and introduce myself as Mrs. White. Ms. Barrio then says, "Oh. None of these kids speak English, didn't they tell you?" As I pick my jaw back off the floor and get a little nervous about how the day will go, the entire class (including the teacher) starts laughing. It was a joke. They ALL speak English and are additional proficient in Spanish. I find out later that they switch teachers every other week. One week all in Spanish and one week all in English. (There is a 2nd half of this group who are mostly not Spanish speaking who are in the same program. It seems kinda cool for the kids to be able to learn through total immersion.)
The class is absolutely delightful. The entire day. In fact, they invite me to come outside and eat lunch with them and everything. I loved it and I look forward to another fun JA experience next year!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment