Sunday, May 9, 2010

50 first dates

Saturday night when Richard and I got home from grocery shopping, we turned on the last half of 50 First Dates. I've seen it once before but mostly forgot it. It definitely has it's share of inappropriate tacky stuff - I don't think I'd watch again BUT that's not why I'm blogging about it.

It's amazing what kinds of things change once you've had brain surgery. In the movie she got in an accident with a stray cow and as a result she had brain surgery and her short term memory is affected and each morning she wakes up and doesn't remember anything from the day before.

In one scene they go to the doctor and are looking at her scans on the lit up wall (you know the ones made for MRI and CT scans). I wanted them to move and let me look at them closer. Then (wait for it, wait for it) I started crying. That's right, crying. I'm pretty sure I didn't cry the last time I watched it. I was crying for her - an actress who doesn't really deal with this stuff. I was crying for the people who really do deal with it. Brain surgery is the pits! How terrible is it for the people who not only have to do the hard part of the actual surgery but have major problems as a result. Made me soooooo grateful that I don't have the major problems as a result. Sooooo grateful.

Who knew that brain surgery would make you cry during a "comedy"? And who knew that comedy would help you stop feeling sorry for yourself?

No comments: