The other day after the exhausting day at work, we went to an exhausting visit with our pyschiatrist. I say "our" because he's treats both of us. Yesterday was Richard's appt. (I do have Richard's permission to share this. He is supporting my attempts to dissolve the stigmas. If I told you he had high cholesterol - you would think nothing of it. It should be the same way if I tell you about a mental health condition. In fact it should help you understand that person better.)
He's been diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder partnered with depression. As of the end of last year our dr has really been able to stabilize this. Since all of this uncertainty has started, both the OC and the depression have been out of whack. For Richard the OC has to do with obsessively eating or spending money or escaping into a movie (buying figures, watching it over and over, taking up new hobbies based on it). The depression this time has to do with incessant sleeping and lack of motivation. The dr said that the real way that he'll get back out of this is by finding out what's going on with me. But he gave us something to try to help him wake up and something to stimulate his thyroid until then. Good times. Just think we only have a week before we find something out. Let's hope it is the kind of stuff the dr meant when he said that. :)
Okay last but not least - I finally got a picture of my cube. Actually I forgot to take it when I was there so my friend took it and sent it to me. She's obviously not the one who sits there so the sticky notes, pens, chapstick, lotion, stickers, notebook and other cards normally displayed at the bottom are just kinda stuffed under some other stuff. So what you can see right now is the calendar (yes I traded 2009 for 2010), some stickers, a mini poster, a big row of magnets, and a card. That card may have been from my team last year - hard to remember for sure. No, no they gave me a singing card last year. "Soaring, flying..." It must be buried in the other stuff.
I miss you desk at work.


1 comment:
Okay, haven't been on anyone's blog for a while (least of all my own. . .need to update it). So, glad you are improving. Totally agree on the need to dissolve the stigmas about mental health issues. I too have written on my blog about my anxiety issues (and mental hospital stay) during my last pregnancy and I've had "post-concussional depression" since a severe head concussion in a car accident at age 16. Have been on prozac or zoloft for 17 years. I can relate to the horrendous headaches (though from a closed head injury, not brain surgery. but, still my brain. . .) Though, luckily, I don't have those anymore. There is hope!
Anyway, we're different people with different experiences, but I think I can relate to you on many things. We should get together and talk :) I always knew you were a totally cool person back when I was your visiting teacher in the singles ward (what 10 years ago!), but you were quite busy with other things (or other person who will remain nameless) at that time so we never really hung out.
I've been wanting to make you something yummy and come visit to let you know I'm thinking about ya. I should just do it already :)
Post a Comment