Monday, May 24, 2010

Back to work

Do you know what I think is the dumbest question to ask someone after they've been out for 5 months? "Are you glad to be back?" Um, yes - because otherwise I'm dealing with brain surgery and no - because it's WORK!!!

Work today was alright. The first hour I spent packing up my old desk and explaining to 500 (well really only about 10) people that I still have a ping pong sized tumor in my head. One conversation went something like this:

"Oh Susan you're back!"
"Yep!"
"So how are you? How did things go?"
"Well, I still have a brain tumor but it's all good."
"ha ha ha (looong pause) oh wait, you're serious?"

No, I'm kidding. I like to joke about things like that. Wouldn't you? That's so far the hardest thing about being back - the emotional stress. Everyone has been super duper nice but having to explain so many times about the situation can really take it toll on you.

The rest of the 4 hour day was spent catching up on emails and taking an online course. I felt really tired when I came home but had a few things to do... then, finally, I napped for an hour and a half! It was amazing.

Tomorrow is choir practice at work. We have a new director as of last week (because I was all brain surger-ing). I'm not sure if that means I'm back or if I get to appreciate a new director too. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Oh yeah, my new team - ROCKS!!! It's a bunch of people that I've worked with on other teams and I'm sooo excited.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yay for being back...wait...um---kinda yay for being back at work---total yay for being back!